I had the opportunity to preach at Mountainside Community Church in Reno, NV this past Sunday. Preaching is the art of publicly communicating the heart and truth of God.
Afterward, I was asked how I prepare.
This is my process to prepare for a sermon, and can be adapted for any public speaking:
- Listening prayer: hours of being sensitive to the Holy Spirit
- Bible passage reflection: reading, charting, and studying
- Outline: building the order and flow of the message
- Metaphor cementing: adding memorable illustrations (Metaphor Cementing is part of IMPROVleadership as presented by Slingshot Group)
- Delivery preparation: run-throughs, prayer, physical refreshment
- Delivery : focused, confident, and sensing communication
- Thanksgiving: surrender, evaluation, and joy
It is good to have both a digital and old-school print version of speaking notes should power or electronics fail.
Here are my handwritten notes.
Have a listen.
Leave a Reply